Sweet refreshing and moreish, this is how I would describe Nikita – the Madeirans beloved cocktail.
A kind of milkshake cocktail that was firstly created in 1985, the same year of Elton John’s song ‘Nikita’, hence the name; it is typical from Câmara de Lobos a small piscatorial village in the south-central coast of the Madeira Island, but it is sold all through the Island in an array of new flavours.
500 ml pineapple juice or pineapple Sumol
6 scoops of vanilla ice cream
1 small beer
1 small glass of white wine
2 slices of pineapple
3 tablespoons of sugar
- In a blender pour the pineapple juice, sugar, white wine, slices of pineapple and mix it well
- Add the ice cream blending it by hand to the previous mixture until it is creamy and smooth
- Finally add the beer
- Serve it in a tall glass with a straw and a piece of pineapple inside
- The original Nikita is made with pineapple and it is available in an alcoholic and non-alcoholic version.
- Nowadays you can find several flavours: kiwi, strawberry, passion fruit