Is no secret that Portuguese love cod fish. We eat it boiled, fried, with cream or as ceviche. Pastéis de Bacalhau (cod fish pasties) are however one of Portugal’s favourite snacks and a good way to use Christmas Eve leftovers.
Ingredients for 28 pasties:
- 600g of salted cod pre-soaked (to remove excess of salt)
- 800g of potatoes
- 4 eggs
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 dl olive oil
- 50g parsley (finely chopped)
- Pepper (to sprinkle)
- Nutmeg (to sprinkle)
- 1 teaspoons of coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- Frying oil
- Cook the potatoes in salted water for 30 minutes.
- Add the cod to another pan with water and let it cook for to 15 minutes.
After the cod is cooked, transfer it to a plate. Once the cod is cold, remove the skin and bones as you shred it into smaller pieces.
- In a frying pan, add the onion and garlic to the oil. Let it cook until it turns lightly brown (don’t let it burn!)
After 10 minutes, with the onion braised, add the cod and allow to braise slowly, until the cod is completely shredded.
Stir occasionally, to help the cod to shred.
Remove it from the heat after 5 minutes.
- After cooking, remove the potatoes and mash them.
Add the cod and parsley to the puree. Season the mixture with pepper and nutmeg and mix well.
Add one egg at a time to the mix and stir everything very well.
This mixture should be well bonded and consistent so the pasties do not get soft.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil and remove one tablespoon of dough.
Pass the spoonful into another spoon, repeating this process until the shape of the cod pasties is reached.
- Fry in very hot oil.
Turn the pasties gently so they fry on both sides.
After frying, place them on a dish covered with absorbent paper.
Once the exceeding oil is absorbed the Pasteis de Bacalhau are ready to serve.
You can serve the pasties as a starter or with a side salad as a main dish.